Volume 1, Issue 8
Welcome to IWL’s monthly e-newsletter, designed to keep you, our alumnae, informed about current events and important information on the progress of our global community and commitments.
In this issue:
1. Coach’s Column – Creating a High Performance Work Culture
2. Featured Resource – Heifer Project International
3. A Note from Rayona
1) Coaches Column
Courtesy of June Anderson, Breakthrough Coaching, Inc.
2) Featured Resource – Heifer Project International
Submitted by Sindri Anderson, WLC 01/00
I came across an amazing organization that provides an original and socially conscious alternative to gift-giving this holiday season. It is http://www.heifer.org/index.shtml
In honor of those for whom you’d normally give gifts, you can ‘buy’ a poor family an animal (cow, pig, duck, water buffalo, etc.) to help them alleviate their hunger and provide a source of ongoing income.
3) A Note from Rayona
I sit here this Monday morning facing the first full week back home since August. I feel drained of inspirational words to pass on to you. I just turned 49 last week and have never felt older!
Then, the phone rings and it’s our wonderful VP of Marketing, Sandy Caldwell, encouraging me to just speak from my heart and trust that you can relate to my exhaustion.
So while I ‘know better’ than to let my life get out of balance, I feast on humble pie as I write this letter. Just sharing seems to ease the angst of it : – ). As we all know, just illuminating the dynamic of being out of control is the first step in reclaiming our power of choice.
For someone who ‘does not travel’ I have just exceeded 100,000 mile frequent flyer points for United Airlines. Now I can use those points for a trip to Hawaii or some other tropical paradise — ‘GREAT IDEA!’
For the present, it is back to work on designing my life in balance with good nutrition, vitamins and supplements, exercise, spiritual nourishment, home nesting time, Chelsea time and time with friends, etc.
Are some of you facing similar, life-out-of-balance issues? What works for you to regain your balance? I would love to hear from you on this topic.
If you need support, please give us a call or recruit a ‘buddy’ for mutual support. I’ll have mine by the end of today! Remember, if we don’t author our lives, then someone or something else will!
The highlights of the last eight weeks and the next four weeks working for the advancement of women and the full partnership of women and men in transforming organizational culture include:
1. Hiring new office manager for IWL and promoting Jennifer Hibbits to Program Leader-In-Training!
2. Two Women Leading Change programs and various speeches in Australia (included attending the Olympics with my daughter, Chelsea — totally excellent!)
3. Women Leading Change in Santa Clara with 26 wonderful women, including a deaf woman for whom the entire course was interpreted via sign language
4. Emotional Intelligence (EQ) training for IWL staff and friends
5. Leading by Context™ consulting for Hewlett-Packard to design the future of global workforce training and development
6. Facilitating a panel of the top five women at Cisco to share their stories and advice about career advancement and navigating as a leader at Cisco
7. First Schwab Women of Color program open to non-Schwabbie women
8. Fast Company magazine featuring three IWL alumnae and IWL will hit the stands November 24th!